Getting involved in mentored research as an undergraduate student is a great way to build your resume, learn valuable skills, expand your network, explore career paths, and help solve real world problems.
Global Health students get involved in a diverse range of research topics with faculty from across campus. Some students join bioscience research labs and build valuable bench or field research skills, while others develop qualitative and quantitative data skills through social science research on public health challenges. Some research opportunities are paid, while others are done for credit.
Finding a Research Opportunity
Finding a faculty mentor or opening in a lab is the first step to getting involved in research. There are some programs, such as Undergraduate Research Scholars (URS), that help match students to research opportunities. There are also courses on campus, such as Integrated Science 150, that help students identify and join research opportunities in STEM fields. The Student Jobs listings are also a great place to look for paid research opportunities.
Many students, however, learn about research opportunities by talking with their professors and TAs and by directly contacting faculty they are interested in working with.
WISCIENCE provides a great collection of resources for students interested in getting involved in research and we strongly recommend starting there:
Exploring Global Health Research at UW-Madison
The following databases, centers, institutes and departments can be good places to search for faculty mentors and a range of research topics related to global health.
- Centers and Institutes:
- Agriculture & Applied Economics
- Civil Society & Community Studies
- Community & Environmental Sociology
- Education Policy Studies
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine and Community Health
- Gender & Women’s Studies
- Human Development & Family Studies
- Lafollete School of Public Affairs
- Medical History and Bioethics
- Medical Microbiology & Immunology
- Nutritional Sciences
- Pathobiological Sciences
- Planning and Landscape Architecture
- Population Health Sciences
UW-Madison Undergraduate Research Scholarships and Awards
- Hilldale Undergraduate Research Fellowship
- Holstrom Environmental Research Fellowship
- Sophomore Research Fellowship
- UW-Madison Graduate School Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP)
UW-Madison Research Resources
- CALS Honors in Research Program
- UW-Madison Student Jobs
- UW-Madison Undergraduate Research Scholars
Global Health Research Opportunities Off-Campus
- Harvard MIRT Program
- Johns Hopkins Summer Internship Program
- Kennedy Krieger Maternal Child Health Careers/Research Initiative
- Marshfield Clinic Summer Research Internship Program (SRIP)
- National Institutes of Health Summer Internship Program (SIP)
- National Science Foundation Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
- UAB Minority Health Research Training Program