Student organizations are a great way to learn more about a particular topic and career, gain leadership experience, get involved in the community, and meet other students who are interested in the same things as you. Searching the Wisconsin Involvement Network (WIN) of Student Organizations, you are sure to find other students who share your academic interests, career goals, or favorite hobbies.
There are many health related student orgs at UW-Madison, and they vary in terms of their purpose, focus, and activities. For example, some are pre-professional organizations while others are geared towards community service.
It is important to note that our program does not evaluate or actively endorse any specific ‘global health’ students orgs as we are not involved in the oversight of their activities. Some student orgs participate in ‘service/mission trips’, and we strongly encourage all students exploring these organizations and activities to read our Global Health Ethics resources and critically reflect on the practice of short-term service trips abroad. While the desire to engage and help comes from a good place, sometimes these voluntourism experiences can be counterproductive, reinforcing colonial paradigms and primarily benefiting visiting students rather than host communities. As you review different organizations and opportunities we ask that you consider these ethical questions.
We encourage you to search the WIN directory to find an active student organizations that interest you, but to get started here is a sample list of student organizations that some global health students have participated in over the years:
- Amnesty International at UW-Madison
- Bioethics@ UW-Madison
- CALS Health and Research Society (CHARS)
- Effective Altruism UW-Madison
- F.H. King: Students for Sustainable Agriculture
- Community Health Volunteers of Madison
- Doctors Without Borders Student Chapter at UW-Madison
- Global Health Alliance at UW-Madison
- Global Health Innovation Club
- Health Occupations Students of America – UW-Madison (HOSA)
- Partners in Health – Engage, UW-Madison Chapter
- Planned Parenthood Generation Action at UW-Madison
- Slow Food UW
- Unicef UW-Madison